Essay on Management: It’s Principles and Functions
With the development of a market economy, in particular in our country, the terms “management”, “manager” quickly and firmly entered our life and our vocabulary, replacing such terms as “management”, “managerial activity”, “leader”, “Director”.
Although all these words are synonymous with each other, the term management has a broader meaning. In general, “control” is the impact of the control system (control subject) on the controlled system (control object) in order to transfer the controlled system to the required state. In particular, the manager is the subject of management.
Management is a process in which two parties work closely together:
the person (group of persons) providing leadership is the subject of management (managers of various levels: line managers, mid-level managers, top managers);
management object – that, on the optimization of which the efforts of the subject of management are directed. The objects may be:
- manufacturing process,
- sales of finished products, etc.
The goal of management is to make the management object as efficient as possible.
By and large, we are all managers of our lives, we determine its strategy and develop tactics, solve tasks and get well-deserved results. But today we will consider management as a management system in the field of economics.
If we reveal a little definition of “management”, then we will see that it includes:
- market research (demand, consumption), i.e. marketing and forecasting;
- production of products with minimal costs and its implementation with maximum profit; – personnel management, therefore knowledge of sociology, psychology, as well as information analysis and development of programs to achieve the goal.
- Planning – determining the development path of the company, specifying the tasks of the chosen path.
- Constant monitoring of the market and timely decision-making to stabilize the financial situation of the company.
- Distribution of tasks between employees.
- Control over the implementation of tasks.
- Motivation of employees to optimize the work process and increase labor productivity.
- Organization and team building.
Obviously, the tasks described are solved by managers at various levels. So, determining the development path of a company is the prerogative of top managers, and providing the office with supplies – an office manager.
According to foreign experts, the manager’s behavior should be different: some aggression, perseverance, willingness to perceive and convey information, rationality, group work, humor, desire to establish contact, self-control, confidence in behavior, positive attitude to competition, but natural achievement. set goals.
Thus, among the most important abilities of the manager, understood as: combination of knowledge, behavior and experience, include: the ability to implement, the ability to delegate authority and responsibility, the ability to organize and motivate group work, setting priorities, self-knowledge and self-esteem, persuasion, analytical thinking , recognition of the most significant factors, systematization, processing and formation of information, program development, trend detection, distribution of effort and time.
Management principles are implemented through consciousness, intelligence, will (assertiveness) and the determination of a person. It is important to ensure such working conditions in order to maximize the use of these human qualities.
Key management principles include:
- the principle of science (it is important to understand the reasons for the mismatch of goals and results, to see the contradictions between theory and practice, to know the properties of large systems and the methods of work in them);
- the principle of consistency and complexity (it is important to see the most significant set of interconnected and interdependent subsystems that are part of the organization, for example, as in Japan: “lifelong hiring subsystem”, “workplace training subsystem”, “personnel rotation subsystem”, “reputation subsystem”, “Subsystem of remuneration”, which complement each other and ensure the growth of labor productivity, living standards and staff motivation, economic growth of the whole country);
- the principle of unity of command and collegiality in the development of decisions (for the implementation of a collegially adopted decision, the head of the organization bears personal responsibility);
- the principle of democratic centralism (means the need for a reasonable, rational combination of centralized and decentralized principles in management, the balance of rights and responsibilities between the leadership and the team, violation of this balance leads either to autocracy in management or to ochlocracy (power of the crowd));
- the principle of balance of power (basic law: the level of influence of a leader on subordinates is equal to the degree of dependence of subordinates on the leader);
- the principle of the optimal combination of industry (interests of organizations) and territorial interests (ecology, employment, social, cultural, ethnic and economic problems of the regions);
- the principle of priority (priority) of actions, taking into account the significance of the stages of work;
- the principle of the optimal combination of positive synergy in the organization’s activities (through a common interest in the results of labor) and healthy competition (competition) between its members;
- constant consideration of psychological, age, gender and cultural-ethnic characteristics of workers and their motivation.
Management and various approaches to the definition of a concept
The wide public interest in management is largely associated with the establishment and development of business schools or management schools, the most common in the United States and part of the “management infrastructure”.
Infrastructure sectors in production – energy, transport, telecommunications, etc., and in the non-production sphere – education, publishing, public computer networks, consulting, etc. – they are highly developed precisely in a market economy, where horizontal connections are especially important, and public services that satisfy a certain social need and paid by the consumer are quickly formed into an independent large, medium or small business.
Today, the United States is the country with the world’s most developed management infrastructure. There are more than 1300 registered business schools and management programs in America with official certification from the American Assembly of University Schools of Business in America, of which 600 are business schools that operate independently within multidisciplinary universities.
They provide regular education in business and management. The country has over 10 thousand advisory firms, not counting tens of thousands of independent consultants who provide services on various aspects of this activity. More than 70 periodicals, over a dozen publishers specialize in management and business literature. The USA is a leader in the science of management, research in the field of business and management, in terms of the number of researchers, the amount of money spent, and the breadth of the problems covered.
Management as a scientific discipline has gone a long and contradictory path of development, and it is undoubtedly necessary to consider it taking into account historical experience, the goals and objectives that were set at different stages of its development. The effectiveness and quality of managerial work is determined, first of all, by the soundness of the methodology for solving problems, i.e. approaches of principles, methods without a good theory, practice is blind.
How to write an essay about management
An essay is a free-form essay that expresses and argues for the author’s position on an issue. Although the essay is associated mainly with literature lessons at school or homework at the university, some write it when they are employed. An essay for an employer is an additional way to evaluate a potential employee.
This is all because of high competition in the labor market: when there are many excellent candidates around, you need to identify the best of the best. Using an essay, the employer also assesses the candidate’s communication skills: the ability to write a competent business letter, the ability to clearly state and reason his thoughts.
When writing an essay, it is also important to consider the following points:
- The introduction and conclusion should focus on the problem (in the introduction it is posed, in the conclusion – the opinion of the author is summarized).
- It is necessary to highlight paragraphs, red lines, establish a logical connection between paragraphs: this ensures the integrity of the work.
- Style of presentation: emotionality, expressiveness, artistry. Specialists believe that the proper effect is provided by short, simple, diverse in tone sentences, skillful use of the “most modern” punctuation mark – dash. However, the style reflects the personality traits, it is also useful to remember this.
An essay is not a depersonalized essay, not a dry report, but a work that reflects the student’s opinion. The narrative style is visible, as well as the method of thinking. Most people have different ones.
Management is a practical skill, and therefore the introduction to an essay on management cannot be based solely on theory. Even if you want to quickly introduce the problem, you must emphasize the practical meaning of the issue that you are going to discuss. So, from the very beginning of your essay, you must be creative.
After you have succeeded in acquainting the reader with the practical significance of your topic, you can proceed to a brief summary of the problem you are considering.
In the end, you should point out the main point – the main argument of your entire article.
The argument must not only be explained, but research must also be carried out. Just researching other works and collecting these thoughts is not a good management essay. During the essay you must explain the idea and prove it
by providing real examples. At present, the author of the essay must convince the reader of the viability of his theory and explanations.
Practical examples are very necessary for writing such an essay. An essay can research an idea for which examples can be taken from the market, or test a new idea that can be explained experimentally. In any case, the scenarios should be described in sufficient detail, and the results should be related to the main concept. Most examples should relate to the key concept discussed in the essay. There should be at least 2-3 examples for the main argument.
In conclusion, the main provisions presented in the main part of the essay should be summarized. The reader must come to a logical opinion, taking into account the arguments and examples given. Finally, the issue under discussion is repeated, and the final conclusions are drawn. Taking into account that the purpose of the introduction is to attract the attention of the reader, the main idea of the last sentences is to summarize the general picture of the essay and give the reader the opportunity to think about a specific issue of management.
Excellent Management Essay Topics
- Project Management and Control & IT Project Management Methodologies
- Analysis into Organisational Behaviour
- Conflict Management in the Workplace
- Food and Bevarage Management
- The role of management in the performance of Olympic athletes
- Management – an art or trade?
- Workplace ethics are a collaborative general human behavior
- What are the product manufacturing strategies to get success in business?